Thanks to advances in medical treatment and the promotion of a healthier lifestyle, the average life expectancy for both men and women continues to rise. This ever increasing senior population has helped highlight the need for senior safety features in products for the home, for both residents and visitors alike. When you consider the value and importance of such modifications, it’s easy to see why the construction and installation of any safety apparatus is best done by a professional handyman for the utmost in security and reliability, including those features outlined below.
Grab bars and handrails give a helping hand up and should be professionally installed in the following locations:
- Stairways, including those around the exterior of the home. Handrails should be reinforced for added support and placed on both sides of the staircase where possible.
- Next to the toilet.
- Inside the bath or shower.
- Consider installing a raised toilet seat with grab handles for ease of use.
Shower and Bath Modifications
Decrease the chances of slippage with the following modifications:
- Grab bars
- A no-slip rubber mat or non-slip coating
- A shower chair or bench with non-slip feet
- A bathtub rail for getting in and out of the tub
- Convert the bathtub to a walk-in shower.
- Install a nightlight in the bathroom and hallway to illuminate the pathway to help prevent night time trips or falls.
It may be necessary to expand the doorways in your home to accommodate a wheelchair, walker or scooter. The services of a professional are highly recommended, as this will most likely involve the relocation of light switches and/or electrical outlets.
Consider the following modifications:
- Repair the sidewalk or driveway leading to the entry to create an even surface.
- Install a wheel chair ramp if needed.
- Counter height adjustments may be required in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Reconfiguration of kitchen and bathroom storage for easier access.
For more tips or installation of senior safety features in your home, call the experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve proudly served homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area for more than a century.
Image via Shutterstock.com