Insider Tips for Extending the Life of Your Home Appliances and Preventing the Need for Repair | Blog
Home appliance repair and replacements get expensive quickly. If yours are wearing out sooner than they should, use these insider tips to extend appliance life and prevent excessive repairs.
Re-Magnetize Refrigerator Doors
When the fridge doesn’t close all the way, the motor works extra hard to keep food cold, wearing it out sooner. To test the refrigerator seal, close the door on a dollar bill. If you can easily pull it free, the door isn’t sealing tightly. You can re-magnetize the door yourself by rubbing a powerful magnet in the same direction along each door gasket about 50 times.
Keep the Washing Machine Running Like New
First, remove loose change from pockets before washing clothes to prevent denting and chipping the washer drum. Regularly clean or replace the washing machine filter, which is a thimble-like attachment located where the water supply hose meets the drum.
Clear Out the Dryer Vent
Hot air must be able to vent from the dryer to the exterior unimpeded. To ensure this is happening, do the following:
- Clean the dryer’s lint trap after every use.
- Have the dryer vent blown during each yearly professional maintenance visit.
- Inspect the exterior vent opening for obstructions and clear them out with a straightened coat hanger. If the vent has louvers, clean the slats with an old toothbrush.
- Install wire mesh if the vent lacks a hinged door to keep birds and rodents out.
Extend the Life of Your Dishwasher
To help your dishwasher work more effectively, try these tips:
- Run hot water in the kitchen sink before starting the dishwasher. This priming method ensures your dishes are cleaned with hot water from the beginning of the cycle.
- Run an empty dishwasher with a cup of vinegar once a week to keep the inside smelling fresh.
- Clean the food traps regularly and wipe the dishwasher door seals after each load.
By following these tips, you not only avoid the need for home appliance repair, but you also lower your energy bills every month. For more useful tips, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve proudly served greater Cincinnati homeowners since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com