Indoor Air Quality Amiss? 9 Spring Cleaning Tips | Blog
Is is time for your annual spring cleaning? A clean home is not only a nice home to live in but it’s a home that is free of germs, mold and all sorts of other bad organisms and substances.
Indoor air quality is one of the leading indicators of just how clean your home actually is. If your indoor air quality is lacking, then chances are your health is lacking in some way.
Here are some tips to help you enjoy a cleaner home:
- Install a germicidal light in your HVAC system to help purify the air.
- Remove shoes when entering your home. Keep slippers nearby and keep dust and dirt out of the dwelling.
- Replace sponges on a weekly basis. Sponges are breeding grounds for bacteria. You can also soak sponges in bleach for 15 minutes.
- Install a whole-house humidifier to control excess moisture that leads to mold and mildew.
- Bedding should be washed in hot water. This will control dust mites and other microscopic particles which aggravate allergies. Pillows and mattresses should be covered with allergy-proof bedding.
- Clean with microfiber cloths instead of harsh chemicals. The cloths can be washed and reused many times.
- Install an air-purification system that attacks small particles, and that will also inhibit odors and vapors.
- Minimize clutter in your home. This is where dust collects.
- Clean air conditioning and heating filters once a month. Your air will stay cleaner and your system will be more efficient.
- Keep windows closed mainly at night. This will keep pollen from entering your home.
Your home’s indoor air quality is of vital importance to keeping a clean home. Often times your indoor air quality is more contaminated than outside air. Take steps to improve indoor air quality as much as possible. You and your family’s health may depend on it.
For more on indoor air quality and all your home comfort needs, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. For over 100 years, we have been the home comfort experts the Cincinnati area can depend on.
Image via Shutterstock.com