Garbage disposals are built to last 10 to 12 years, so you may not frequently need garbage disposal repair in Cincinnati. However, when you do need the expertise of a professional, nothing less is likely to be acceptable.
Except for the simplest malfunctions, garbage disposals aren’t engineered for DIY service. Professional garbage disposal repair in Cincinnati from Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing offers quick, qualified response to repair or replace a malfunctioning unit. These common issues may prompt a service call:
When the disposal simply hums and doesn’t grind, the impeller blade may be jammed. You may be able to clear it yourself if you proceed carefully:
- Turn off the disposal at the switch and also cut off power at the circuit breaker panel.
- Locate the hex-shaped manual flywheel rotation hole in the bottom of the disposal.
- Insert the offset hex wrench supplied with the disposal. Attempt to rotate the flywheel clockwise. If you feel it suddenly release and turn freely, you’ve cleared the jam.
- Using tongs or pliers—never your hands—remove any object inside the disposal that may have caused the jam.
- Restore power at the circuit breaker, then press the red reset button on the bottom of the disposal. Turn on the disposal and run cold water to flush accumulated matter down the drain.
If the jam won’t clear, go no further. Call for professional garbage disposal repair.
No Grinding Action
Make sure you’re running cold water while the unit grinds. If you hear the motor run but no grinding, broken internal components are the likely cause. A qualified plumbing professional will likely recommend replacement.
Obstructed Drain Pipe
Standing water usually indicates a clogged p-trap or drain pipe. Garbage disposals don’t respond well to common drain-opening efforts like plunging. You’ll probably need a plumber.
Water seeping between the disposal flange and sink opening requires removal of the unit to restore the seal. This is a job for a professional. Leakage from the discharge tube or dishwasher nipple will usually require new fittings.
To schedule garbage disposal repair in Cincinnati, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today.