Assuring senior safety in the home is one of the most important steps you can take to protect residents of all ages. Aging in place allows residents to stay at home and enjoy financial and emotional benefits, plus it’s entirely possible with a few improvements completed by an experienced and licensed professional.
Ensure Senior Safety in the Home
Kitchens and bathrooms need the most attention since they pose hazards associated with falling and burns, but there are safety improvements to consider throughout the home:
- Converting a bathtub to a shower will greatly improve senior safety in the home because entering and exiting a tub can be dangerous. Conversion kits include shower pans only or tubs that have a water-tight door on them, giving the resident a choice between showering and bathing.
- Anti-scald plumbing fixtures prevent burns in both kitchens and bathrooms, as does turning the water heater down to 120 degrees or lower.
- Changing knob plumbing fixtures to lever hardware makes it easier to control water flow and temperature.
- Many types of ceramic tile floors can be exceptionally slippery when wet and represent a major senior safety issue in the home. Placing anti-skid strips or decals will provide the traction needed to avoid slips and falls.
- Handrails and grab bars in the bathrooms are essential improvements that need to be installed carefully since they’ll need to support one’s full body weight.
- A thermostat with a large digital display will help a senior manage indoor temperatures year-round. A smart thermostat can provide peace of mind since it can be monitored and changed anywhere.
- Access to upper and lower levels of the home is much easier with stair lifts or, if there’s room, elevators. Besides curing a major safety issue, motorized transport reduces the exertion caused by everyday movements throughout the home.
- Moving the receptacles or outlets higher on the wall simplifies life, as does changing the switches to rockers.
The handyman professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing can help you with senior safety in the home. We’ve provided top-notch services for homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com