Is there excess dust in your home or are you having trouble locating the source of strange odors in your rooms? These are signs that duct cleaning might be a worthwhile addition to your spring to-do list.
Signs your ducts may need cleaning
- Strange odors: Mold or mildew developing inside the ducts, stale odors from accumulating dirt or dead rodents in the ducts will create unpleasant odors.
- Poor air quality: If your home is unusually dusty with dirt accumulating around duct registers and grills, consider calling a trusted HVAC technician for a look at your ducts. Family members who suffer from upper respiratory infections and allergies will likely feel worse if your ductwork is in need of a cleaning.
- Increased energy costs: If the HVAC system is running longer to heat your home and your energy costs have increased substantially, have your ducts checked.
Split seams in ductwork can create several issues for Cincinnati area homeowners. To rule this concern out, look for loose joints and kinks in ductwork, or hire a pro to do it. A licensed technician will inspect ducts for dried, cracked sealant, as well as examining duct hangers for sagging ductwork.
If you’re experiencing any of the above problems, duct cleaning may be beneficial, but it will also be a temporary fix. Locating the problem and repairing it is important in order to prevent further problems.
A professional will examine your entire system for the cause of problems, including:
- Checking for breaks in ductwork beneath insulation.
- Locating the source of the moisture in attics, crawl spaces or other parts of the HVAC system.
- Replacing dirty air filters and removing excess dirt from the evaporator coils and blowers.
When hiring a pro, look for a contractor who’s a member of the National Air Duct Cleaners Association. This certification guarantees technicians have passed the NADCA test or are highly qualified to clean your ducts.
At Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, our professionals use specialized equipment designed to clean ducts. Our team will complete a thorough evaluation of your ductwork to locate trouble spots. If you live in the greater Cincinnati area, call our service experts to answer your duct cleaning questions.
Image via Shutterstock.com