Does your house go bump in the night? Here’s a look at some noises coming from your home that you need to treat right away!
Is there a nightmare brewing in my pipes?
Snaking through your home, your plumbing system can be the root of many scary sounds.
- Clunking: Goblins are not taking hold of your home, most likely that banging sound is the result of high-water pressure inside the pipes looking for somewhere to go when the faucet is turned off. Fix: Shut off the main water supply to the home and drain the faucets to reset the water system’s air chamber.
- Banging: It’s not Trick-or-Treaters at your door, but it could be a sediment buildup in your water heater. The noise is steam bubbles escaping through the sediment on the bottom of the tank. Fix: flush your water heater and clean the filter.
- Vibrating: Is a poltergeist rattling your pipes? Probably not. Water pressure set too high can cause pipes to vibrate and even leak. Check your water pressure with a thread pressure gauge and adjust.
What should spark worry from my electrical system?
When your home’s electrical appliances are operating, they will make a low buzz or hum that is considered a white noise within the home. But sudden or loud change could indicate a problem.
- Buzzing: Does that buzzing sound mean your house is possessed? Buzzing from an appliance could indicate the electrical socket is faulty. Fix: Get a professional to examine the outlet.
- Humming: Does it sound like there’s a musical ghost behind your electrical panel? Fix: There could be an issue with one of the breakers or the fuses in the panel. This is a job for a licensed electrician due to the danger of high voltage shock.
What are those strange sounds coming from the basement?
Down in the belly of the beast, or more commonly-called your basement, your HVAC system quietly heats and cools your home. But, if you don’t properly maintain your furnace, you might just hear some eerie sounds that may get your attention.
- Whistling: It’s not the sound of a ghost, that whistling noise might just mean it’s time to change the dirty filters in your home’s HVAC system. Fix: Clean filters will silence that ghost and help your system run more efficiently.
- Knocking: A spirit trapped in your home? More likely this banging sound can be a bent blade in your fan’s HVAC system. Unbalanced or bent fans can do additional damage to your entire HVAC system Fix: Get a professional to make the repair.
- Squealing: Not a black cat, squealing can be the sounds of an HVAC motor that needs lubrication. Left unprepared and you can have a big fright on your hands. Fix: Get an expert to engage in a maintenance program for your HVAC.
One company, one call! The experts at APOLLO HOME can take the fear out of all of your scary home noises. Call us today.