Whether your spring cleaning includes a hardcore deep clean of the entire house or finally tossing that stack of clothes you haven’t worn, have you remembered to add your HVAC system to your to-do list? Here is a Top 10 plan for cleaning your HVAC system this spring:
- Check and replace your air filter. Depending on what type of filter you have will help you decide how frequently it should be replaced but by keeping it on your spring cleaning list means you won’t forget to overlook it to see if a quick clean with a vacuum will do or if it should be replaced.
- Most air conditioners have a drainage hole on the base of the cabinet, beneath the evaporator fins. This hole needs to be kept clear in order for the air conditioner to work properly. It’s a good idea each spring to use a paper clip or wire to poke through the hole and clear it.
- If you have a ventilation fan in your bathroom take the cover off, wash it with soapy water and clean dirt off the fan blades with a toothbrush. Be sure the power is off when you do this!
- Check the batteries on your carbon monoxide detector.
- Clean the return air vents. For a deep clean you can take them off but for a quick clean take the hose of your vacuum to suck up the exterior accumulated dust and debris.
- Wash your floors. You may wonder what this has to do with your HVAC system, but if the floor is not clean every step you take is brushing up settled dirt which can get sucked into your HVAC system and lower your indoor air quality.
- Clear the clutter around your home. The more clutter there is the more areas that you may not be able to dust well or perhaps is blocking the vents. Either way, this can make your HVAC system use more energy to work harder to get past the clutter.
- Clean your ceiling fans. Again it is a prime place for dust to settle and when disrupted clog your HVAC system.
- It is not just about the inside of your house. Check the outside area as well to make sure there are no plants or weeds growing too close to your air conditioning unit.
- Schedule a maintenance cleaning with your HVAC company for a thorough clean and check for any repairs that you may have overlooked or been unaware you needed.
To get the deep cleaning your HVAC system needs this spring schedule your maintenance visit with Apollo Home Heating, Cooling + Plumbing today and breathe easier. We’ve been servicing the Greater Cincinnati area for more than 100 springs!