5 Tips for Cincinnati Homeowners Shopping for Appliance Upgrades and Installation | Blog
Since home appliances typically carry a hefty price tag, relying on local experts can help you through the selection and appliance installation process. Their expertise will save you time, increase satisfaction and help make educated decisions.
Here are five tips to help make the appliance upgrade and installation process easier:
- Set your priorities. Appliances that use a lot of energy, like HVAC systems and water heaters, tend to lose efficiency over time. If energy savings is your motivating factor, put these at the top of the list to lower energy bills, assuming the rest of your home appliances are working.
- Size it properly. The cost of appliances is often associated with their size, along with the cost of operating them over their lifetimes. Refrigerators that you can’t fill will increase energy costs, since the food in the refrigerator and freezer hold cold temperatures longer than air. An HVAC system that’s too large will drive up energy consumption, offer less comfort and may require more maintenance. Water heaters need to be sized by their first hour rating (FHR), not by gallons. (The FHR indicates how many gallons the water heater can provide during the hour of your peak usage.)
- Consider the impact on your home’s value when going through appliance installation. If you plan to sell your home within the next five years, replace the appliances based on current market preferences and efficiency. The majority of potential homebuyers look for highly efficient homes to lower energy bills.
- Look for the EnergyGuide label on the appliance to learn it’s energy consumption. You’ll find a horizontal line with a vertical arrow that indicates how the appliance compares to others in that category for energy efficiency.
- Read the warranty. Some appliances require professional installation to keep their warranties active or legal. HVAC installations have to be performed by a licensed professional to keep these current, and some gas providers may require licensed plumbers to complete the hookup process.
Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing can help you with appliance upgrade and installation and selection, as well as other handyman services. We’ve provided outstanding services for greater Cincinnati homeowners since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com