If you’re one of the 30 million Americans who suffer from seasonal allergies, you can allergy-proof your home to find some relief from the miserable symptoms caused by the varieties of pollen that proliferate throughout Cincinnati in the fall.
This room-by-room guide will get you breathing easier and sleeping better in no time.
- Wash your bedding weekly in hot water to kill dust mites, whose highly allergenic droppings can increase your suffering.
- Thoroughly vacuum your mattress while your bedding washes.
- Install allergy-proof covers on your mattresses and pillows.
- Don’t allow pets on your bed.
- Opt for leather furniture rather than fabric upholstery, which traps dust and allergens in the fibers.
- Vacuum both sides of your area rugs weekly and beat them outdoors twice a year.
- Lay gravel over the dirt in your potted plants to keep mold spores from becoming airborne.
- Avoid using your fireplace or wood-burning stove, which can exacerbate allergy symptoms.
- Turn on your stove vent while cooking to remove gases and moisture.
- Keep food tightly sealed in your cupboards.
- Wash your dishes daily to keep pests at bay.
- Clean out your refrigerator weekly to prevent mold growth.
- Sweep or vacuum your kitchen daily to remove crumbs.
- Install a pest-proof lid on your garbage can.
- Use your bathroom vent while you bathe to remove moisture from the air.
- Dry your shower walls or bathtub surround after bathing to prevent mold growth.
- Keep your fixtures clean and dry to prevent mold and pests.
- Use a portable dehumidifier to remove moisture from your basement.
- Repair cracks in your foundation immediately to prevent water damage and mold growth.
- Store items in plastic bags or tubs with tightly fitting lids.
- Remove carpeting, which traps allergens, and install hard flooring.
- Keep your humidity level in the optimum 30 to 50 percent range.
- Dust weekly with an electrostatic dusting cloth.
- Vacuum weekly with a vacuum cleaner equipped with a HEPA filter.
For more information on how to allergy-proof your home, contact the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We proudly serve the HVAC needs of homeowners throughout the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com