The water heater is the unsung hero of your home. Left neglected, your hardworking water heater might decide to go cold on you, with no warning at all! Water Heaters do not require much LOVE, but a little time and effort can go a long way. Here are our top ways to extend the life of your water heater:
Drain the tank
About twice a year, drain about a quarter of the tank to remove sediment from the bottom which can make your unit work harder and less efficiently. Here’s how:
- Use a bucket under the drain valve at the bottom of the tank
- Turn the valve counterclockwise releasing about two gallons of water into the bucket.
- Close the valve when the water runs clear.
Because this is more of a mini-flush, you can leave the water heater running, but be mindful of the flushing water that will be hot coming into the bucket.
Test the valve
The pressure relief valve is an important safety component of the tank. It opens automatically if the pressure inside the tank gets too high. Here’s how to make sure it is working correctly:
- Put a bucket beneath the discharge pipe extending downward from the relief valve
- Test the valve by lifting the lever
- Water should flow from the pipe. If it does not you either need to repair the valve or replace it.
Dial it back
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, water heating accounts for 18 percent of your home’s energy use. Most manufacturers’ settings default water heaters at 140 degrees. You can save money and increase the lifespan on your water heater by doing this:
- Find the temperature dial on a gas heater and turn it to 120 degrees. The lower temperature slows the accumulation of mineral deposits in your tank.
- Electric heaters have two thermostats. Turn off the power to the water heater first then adjust both by finding them behind the thermostat access panel.
- When leaving home for an extended time, adjust the thermostat on gas heaters to “vacation” setting. That enables the heater’s pilot light to stay on but discontinues the continual water heating cycle.
Schedule a Water Heater Tune-Up with Apollo Home for only $49 (for a limited time)
The Water Heater experts at Apollo Home will make sure your Water Heater is performing as it should. Preventing a cold shower is good for everyone. OR, we can help repair, or replace your current water heater, if yours has outlived its lifespan.