Leaks, clogs and broken plumbing equipment are risks for every homeowner. With the Cincinnati area’s cold winters, frozen pipes are yet another concern for us. These problems are preventable, though. Plumbing preventive maintenance lets you avoid the mess and expense of a plumbing emergency and helps you control your water bills, too.
Benefits of Plumbing Preventive Maintenance
- Enjoy problem-free plumbing – Why hassle with a dripping faucet or blocked drain when you can easily prevent these problems with proper maintenance?
- Save on routine care – Most plumbing preventive maintenance plans offer discounts on parts and labor.
- Minimize emergency expenses – Many plumbing problems are easier and less expensive to correct when caught early. Regular plumbing tune-ups ensure minor problems are dealt with before they become major expenses.
Routine Maintenance Basics
During an annual evaluation, a plumbing expert will check over your whole system. The plumber will:
- Look over exposed pipes – Your pipes will be inspected for developing cracks, leaks and risk of winter freezing.
- Inspect fixtures – With use, your faucets, showerheads and hose nozzles can become loose or corroded. A plumbing preventive maintenance tune-up will catch this damage so it can be repaired before water-wasting drips show up. Your plumber will also use a dye test to check for hard-to-see leaks in your toilet.
- Check the drains – Slow drains are more than a nuisance. They’re a sign of impending clogs and backups. During a tune-up, your plumber will check for slow drains and take steps to get them flowing smoothly again.
- Maintain shutoff valves – Sometimes even with good maintenance, a plumbing emergency occurs. When it does, you’ll need to find a working shutoff valve quickly. Your plumber will identify, test and label your shutoff valves so they’ll be ready if you need them.
- Check equipment – Your garbage disposal, expansion tank and sump pump all sustain wear over time. During an evaluation, your plumber will note any wear or damage that requires attention. Your washer hose connections will also be checked to prevent leaks.
Haven’t had your plumbing inspected this year? Contact the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing for a checkup to keep your system running smoothly and efficiently.