Plumber’s Tip: Preparing your Plumbing for Super Bowl Visitors | Blog
Last year, more than 111 million people watched the Green Bay Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLV, making it the most watched show in the history of television. And this year promises to have just as many, if not more, viewers.
If you host a party for the Super Bowl, the number of guests watching the game at your home will certainly be far fewer. But even a small number of extra people using your “super bowl” and other household plumbing fixtures will likely have your plumbing working overtime. A few simple steps can go a long way (quite a few yards, even!) in preventing unexpected problems during the big game.
- First and foremost, always know where your main shut-off valve is located in case something does go wrong. If your home is on a city water supply line, the valve is usually located near the water meter or near an exterior access point of the home’s crawl space or basement. Homes using well water usually have the shut-off valve on or near the well pump.
- Check the drains in sinks, showers and tubs. Slow drainage can be a sign of a clog.
- Keep your dishwasher clean and drain lines clear by running it empty with a cup of vinegar in the bottom. Do this every few months.
- Check water lines and pipes for leaks. Also check for damp spots on walls that could indicate a leak.
- Avoid putting fibrous (stringy) or fatty foods and grease in kitchen garbage disposal.
- Place a garbage can in the bathroom to help prevent guests from flushing tissues, hand wipes and hygiene products down the toilet.
- Use high quality toilet paper which dissolves easily and is less likely to create clogs than cheap, coarse paper.
- Place filters in drains, particularly those in the bathroom to prevent clogs from the buildup of hair and other debris.
If you do these things a few days prior to the game, you will have plenty of time to have any concerns addressed by a plumber before you have a crowded home. And remember, regular maintenance on your plumbing system will go a long way in preventing problems – especially when you have a house full of guests.