Hiring A Plumber? 5 Factors That Will Influence Your Choice | Blog
A plumbing issue can be a major headache. Hiring a professional you can trust to fix the problem is crucial. After all, you’ll be allowing this person to work in your home and relying on him to do a good job and do it right.
Mistakes can cost you money now and affect your home value in the future. Follow these simple steps when hiring a plumber to ensure that you get what you’re paying for — expert advice and excellent service:
- Ask to see your contractor’s master plumber license from the city of Cincinnati or a suburb.
- Make sure the master plumber license is current. It should begin with the letter “M” and be included in your contractor’s advertising.
- Make sure the master plumber has a certificate of insurance on file. Hamilton County Public Health requires a $10,000 performance bond to ensure that jobs are completed and installed to code, but counties don’t license plumbers.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to learn about any complaints filed.
- Ask if the work planned requires a permit and evaluation from the city. To contact Cincinnati’s plumbing inspectors, go to the American Society of Plumbing Engineers website.
- Get written price estimates from three qualified contractors before you make your final choice.
- Estimates should list an overall price for the complete job — or an hourly rate — and clearly state which pricing is used. Ohio does not regulate plumbing prices.
- Each written estimate should list exactly what work is to be performed and how the company is to be paid. Make sure you understand the scope of the work.
- Be sure warranties are in writing.
- Ask for references, and check them.
- The city of Cincinnati requires plumbing permits, along with health and safety evaluations, on new and replacement installations. This includes replacement of fixtures.
For expert plumbing assistance or more information about hiring a plumber, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. Your peace of mind is our priority. We’ve been serving the area’s plumbing needs for more than a century, since 1910. Visit our website to learn more, or just give us a call.
Image via Shutterstock.com