Hiring a service person almost always requires a leap of faith, but you can make that leap less stressful by taking five proactive steps to validate a company’s work history.
These steps are especially important if you’re hiring a plumber in the greater Cincinnati area, since plumbing can be tricky, complicated work:
- Secure references from the plumber and verify them. Specifically ask for the names of customers whose homes presented unforeseen challenges so that you can learn how the plumber resolved them.
- Obtain the name of the “master plumber” for the company as well as his or her license number. This number will be preceded by an “M,” which stands for master plumber.
- Call the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board to verify both the master plumber license number and that he or she has a certificate of insurance on file. The board issues state licenses to contractors who work in the electrical, HVAC, hydronics, plumbing and refrigeration trades. The number to call is 614-644-2223.
- Call your municipal plumbing evaluation department to learn about the company’s track record. Ask if any complaints have been filed against the company and ensure that the company is free to conduct business in your area.
- Ask for a written estimate of the plumbing job that addresses the scope of the work, any equipment to be installed, the duration of the project and its cost. This estimate may become your contract; if so, ensure that it also includes warranty information.
It may seem obvious, but don’t forget to make sure that the plumber signs the estimate, thereby making it enforceable. Some shady contractors have been exposed for deliberately not signing work estimates; then, if something goes wrong and a homeowner demands restitution, the contractor claims that he or she should not be held responsible.
Fear of such scams have prompted thousands of homeowners to call Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. We’ve been in business since 1910 and believe our longevity speaks volumes about how we treat customers — like the extended family they really are. When you’re looking for the very best when hiring a plumber in greater Cincinnati, call the Apollo Home experts.
Image via Shutterstock.com