You may think you’ve finished your home maintenance until spring. But have you done a thorough check of your plumbing system? If you haven’t, set aside your next weekend to get the job accomplished. You’ll be able to catch small problems before they become big issues.
So what does a thorough plumbing evaluation involve? Here’s an idea:
- Check your water pipes for leaks. Repair any leaks that you find, or call your plumber to do the job. Make a mental note to insulate the pipes, as well. This is a DIY job that can go a long way toward preventing a winter freeze-up.
- Check your water pressure. Low pressure could indicate a problem in the line running to the street.
- Inspect the drain in every sink for signs of blockage.
- Check each toilet. Is it cracked? Is the base wobbly or leaking? Is it flushing properly? Check the tank, and make sure all parts are working.
- Take a look at each sink, along with its fixtures. Is it draining properly? Is the faucet dripping? Is there any leakage around the fixtures? Plan to fix any leaks in the not-too-distant future.
- Check the showers. Make sure no caulk is cracked or missing. Repair as needed. Unscrew the shower head and look for any sediment buildup. Clean out the sediment, or replace the shower head.
- This is a good time to drain the water heater. Sediment can build up in the bottom of the tank and cause corrosion. Eventually, your furnace could develop a leak and need to be replaced.
Your plumbing is one of the most important systems in your home. The professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing understand that. If you live in the Cincinnati area and you need help with your system, give us a call. We’re happy to help.
Image via Shutterstock.com