When it comes to heating your home, you know the equipment can’t last forever. There will come a day when it’s time to research a boiler upgrade, but is an upgrade worth it? How do you know when it’s time to upgrade, and what features should you look for in replacement equipment?
Benefits of a Boiler Upgrade
Replacing a broken or inefficient boiler with an upgraded model comes with several benefits, including:
- Lower fuel costs in response to more efficient operation
- Fewer greenhouse gas emissions for a lower environmental impact
- Better home comfort in the bitter cold Ohio winter
- Improved reliability and safety
- Higher home resale value
Knowing When to Upgrade
A boiler replacement requires an investment. Watch for these signs that indicate now’s the time for a boiler upgrade:
- The boiler is more than 15 years old.
- The boiler is hot to the touch or the boiler room heats up even when it’s not generating heat for your home.
- You recently finished a home add-on and the boiler isn’t adequately heating the newly expanded footprint.
- The boiler can’t keep up when it gets too cold outside, meaning it’s undersized.
- The boiler short cycles, resulting in dramatic temperature fluctuations. This means the boiler is oversized.
- The boiler has outdated, inefficient features, such as a pilot light or operating control box with no digital readout.
What to Look for in a Boiler Upgrade
Get the most from a new boiler by shopping carefully for your upgrade. Consider the following:
- Fuel type – In general, it’s most cost effective to replace your home’s boiler with one that uses the same fuel. If you already have a natural gas line, this is the likely best fuel choice. Oil, liquid petroleum gas (LPG) and electricity are viable alternatives.
- Efficiency – Opt for the highest efficiency boiler possible for the lowest operational costs. Condensing boilers are 90 percent or more efficient.
- Quality installation – Even the best boilers won’t perform at their peak without proper installation. Leave the job to a qualified professional for the best results.
To learn more about choosing a boiler upgrade, please contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve proudly served Ohio residents since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com