Considering HVAC Upgrades? Don’t Forget About the Federal 25C Tax Credits | Blog
Many home upgrades come down to timing and money: Is there a definite need and can we afford it? Now the federal government’s 25C tax credits are adding an exciting element to the decision-making process.
Offered by the U.S. Department of Energy, the 25C tax credits can line your wallet with as much as $300, as long as the high efficiency improvement is made to your primary residence.
You can apply for the 25C tax credits — so-called because the eligible products are covered in section 25C of the Internal Revenue Code — by filing Form 5695 with your taxes. Here are the terms:
- A whole-house circulating fan whose electricity consumption does not exceed 2 percent of the energy used by the furnace ($50 credit)
- An exterior window or skylight, which must meet Energy Star requirements, qualifies for 10 percent of the cost and up to $200
- An exterior door, which must conform with Energy Star standards, qualifies for 10 percent of the cost
- Insulation qualifies for 10 percent of the cost
- An electric heat pump water heater with an energy factor of at least 2.0 ($300 credit)
- An electric heat pump with a seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) of at least 15, an energy efficiency ratio (EER) of at least 12.5 and a heating seasonal performance factor (HSPF) of at least 8.5 ($300 credit)
- A natural gas-, propane- or oil-fueled water heater with an energy factor of at least .82 or a thermal efficiency rating of at least 90 percent ($300 credit)
- A biomass stove with a thermal efficiency rating of at least 75 percent ($300 credit)
- A natural gas-, propane- or oil-fueled furnace or hot water boiler whose annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating is no less than 95 percent ($150 credit)
- An asphalt roof with heat-cooling granules or a metal roof with a white coating, which must meet Energy Star requirements, qualifies for 10 percent of the cost
- A central air conditioner with a SEER rating of at least 16 and an EER of at least 13 ($300 credit)
Let Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing help you make the most of the 25C tax credits by helping you select the right upgrade. Call us for an appointment today and start saving on energy tomorrow.
Image via Shutterstock.com