Thinking About a Whole-House Humidifier? How to Go About the Search | Blog
When it gets cold and dry during a Cincinnati winter, a whole-house humidifier can help keep your home comfortable and your family healthy. It does this by hooking directly to your furnace to evenly distribute moisture throughout your entire home. As you search for one that best suits your family, keep these tips in mind.
- Because the size of most whole-house humidifiers are based on the size of space they effectively serve, base your search on the size of the unit and the total square footage of your home.
- Always ask your HVAC professional about installation requirements. He or she can help you decide whether a console unit or an in-duct system is right for you.
- Most HVAC professionals recommend units with a humidifier or humidistat attached to them to measure and monitor humidity levels. They also recommend units with gauges that are easy to read and operate and have an automatic turn-off switch when humidity levels reach a specific level.
- Talk with your HVAC professional about maintenance requirements and access to your unit. It’s recommended that your unit is easily accessible for water tank refilling, filter changing and unit cleaning. Make sure to find out about availability of replacement filters, special cleaning supplies and maintenance equipment.
- Choose the best whole-house humidifier technology for your situation. For instance, if you have hard water, a warm mist or evaporative style humidifier can decrease mineral-related issues.
For information about how a whole-house humidifier can benefit your family, contact the HVAC professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. For more than 100 years, we’ve proudly served residents of the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com