Think You Need a Furnace Replacement? 8 Giveaway Signs | Blog
No one wants to deal with furnace replacement. In many cases, it comes as an unexpected event, but it doesn’t have to. There are ways to anticipate furnace failure ahead of time and actually plan for any problems.
Giveaway Signs of Furnace Replacement
- Age: Find out how old your furnace is by looking at the owner’s manual or with the help of an HVAC professional. Most furnaces have an operation time of 20 to 30 years. Even if it’s a young 15 years or so, you might want to consider a replacement with an Energy Star-qualified furnace, as a newer model can be some 15 percent efficient.
- Low energy efficiency rating – Annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) ratings will tell you how much energy your furnace is converting into heat. For example, an AFUE rating of 60 means that your home is using 60 percent of fuel. 40 percent escapes as exhaust. The most efficient furnaces have an AFUE in the 90s.
- Frequent repairs: If you find that you having multiple visits from your trusted HVAC company, you’re spending money better spent on a new, efficient unit.
- Energy bill increases: If you’re using the same amount of fuel but your bills are increasing, improper equipment operation, inadequate insulation or duct problems may be to blame.
- Noise: A loose duct can be a simple repair. Pressure issues may cause whizzing sounds, and other sounds are indicative of a variety of issues. If it’s ongoing, noises should be looked at by a trusted professional.
- Uneven room heating: Your furnace isn’t working efficiently if some rooms are colder or hotter. This is often caused by humidity or dryness issues.
- Repeated cycling: If your furnace is kicking on and off repeatedly, this could be due to damage or cracks to the unit.
- Thermostats – A programmable thermostat helps the average homeowner save on energy bills by reducing consumption when the home is empty, particularly for several hours at a time.
Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing has been serving the HVAC and plumbing needs of homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area since 1910. Contact us today for help determining if furnace replacement is necessary in your home.
Image via Shutterstock.com