What’s Your Expert Likely to Do During a Furnace Inspection? | Blog
Now that the heat of summer has passed, it’s time to start thinking about the upcoming heating season, which will be all too soon in the Cincinnati area. While the weather is still mild and your HVAC contractor is between busy seasons, it’s a good idea to schedule a fall furnace evaluation and have routine maintenance performed on your system.
What the Pros Will Do During a Furnace Inspection
Here are some of the steps that are commonly performed during a professional furnace evaluation:
- Clean the blower fan: A pro will remove all surface dust from the fan blades and housing, and lubricate the pulleys and the blower motor bearings, if possible. He or she will also make sure the belt is in good condition and that it’s properly aligned.
- Check the burners: The tech will remove surface rust, dirt and soot from the burners with a tiff brush and a vacuum. With the furnace on, he or she will check the flame height and color and make adjustments as necessary. The pilot light will also be checked and adjusted
- Inspect the heat exchanger: He or she will check for cracks or holes in the heat exchanger. A leaking heat exchanger can allow carbon monoxide to flow into the home.
What Homeowners Can Do
These tasks can be tackled by most homeowners to keep the system running efficiently:
- Check the air filter: Remove the air filter and inspect it. If it’s clogged or excessively dirty, replace the filter with the same type if it’s disposable. If it’s reusable, simply clean and replace it. The filter should be checked at least once a month during the heating season.
- Test the thermostat: Make sure the thermostat turns the furnace on and off at the correct temperatures and that it’s set correctly. Replace the batteries in the thermostat, if equipped.
- Clean air registers: Clean both the supply and return registers and make sure that the dampers are set correctly and that nothing like furniture or curtains impede the airflow.
To schedule your professional fall furnace evaluation, contact our home heating experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today. We’ve served the greater Cincinnati region since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com