The best way to determine if your furnace needs replacing is to consult with an HVAC service provider. A service technician can thoroughly assess the condition, safety and efficiency of the system better than anyone else.
Consider calling a technician if:
- Your furnace is more than 10 years old. These units typically operate at only 50% efficiency. Some older units can operate at as little as 35% efficiency.
- Your carbon monoxide detector is going off. This can be a sign of a cracked heat exchanger in your furnace – a potentially deadly situation.
- The system has not been serviced within the last two years.
- Your heating bills have gradually increased over the past several months.
- Your home does not feel like it is heating consistently from room to room or floor to floor.