Carbon monoxide (CO) is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the U.S.

Produced as a by-product of the combustion of gas and oil furnaces, water heaters, ovens, automobiles and more, carbon monoxide fumes can build to dangerous levels when improperly vented in enclosed areas. Carbon monoxide detectors are imperative in identifying these colorless, odorless fumes and preventing them from destroying your indoor air quality and harming your family.

If you and your family are inside your home when your carbon monoxide detector goes off, immediately vacate the premises, moving outside for fresh air. After you’re sure everyone is accounted for, contact the fire department. Do not re-enter your home until it’s been aired out and a professional has located the source.

Professional carbon monoxide detection

Professionals will thoroughly inspect your home for sources of carbon monoxide in the following places:

  • Fireplaces, chimney flues and venting systems – Professionals will check for bends and blockages that could force CO gas back into your home.
  • Gas or oil furnaces – These are frequently the source of carbon monoxide. Burners and ignition systems must be checked, pipes and venting inspected for leaks, and filtering systems checked for blockages.
  • Venting and fan systems on fuel burning appliances – Professionals will check for proper installation and venting on items like gas water heaters, clothes dryers, space heaters and wood burning stoves.
  • Pilot lights of stoves and fireplaces – In closed-up homes, these can cause issues when not operating properly, as they’re not vented to the outside.

Carbon monoxide safety

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
  • Never leave your car running in an attached garage, even if the door is open.
  • Never burn charcoal inside.
  • Never use your gas stove as a heater, and keep the door tightly closed when it is operating.

When carbon monoxide detectors set of an alarm, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. Family owned and operated since 1910, Apollo Home will send a professional to detect carbon monoxide sources in your greater Cincinnati area home.

Image via Shutterstock.com