Regular preventive maintenance of your HVAC system is critical to ensure a long life and maintain low utility bills. Many Cincinnati homeowners neglect a simple preventive care step — air filter replacement. Checking the air filter monthly and replacing it as soon as dirt is visible is a good habit to get into.
Benefits of Routine Air Filter Replacement
- Better airflow and longer system life – A clean air filter allows the airflow to run smoothly to the HVAC system’s air handler. When airflow runs unrestricted to the air handler, less strain is placed on the fan motor. When a filter is dirty, airflow is obstructed, putting additional strain on the fan motor, which eventually leads the motor to burn out and the system to breakdown.
- Stable energy bill – Because a clean air filter puts less strain on the air handler, it works per its design and uses less energy. As a result, your energy bill is more manageable. Alternatively, because a dirty air filter puts additional strain on the fan motor, it works harder, consuming more energy and costing you more.
- Enhanced indoor air quality – A clean air filter means there’s plenty of room for the filter to trap dirt and pollutants, preventing it from entering your indoor air. A dirty air filter can become overloaded, allowing the impurities in the air to continue to circulate, which can then aggravate allergies and asthma.
- Protection for your entire system – A clean air filter reduces the amount of dirt gathered within your HVAC system and ductwork. This prevents untimely cleaning costs or unexpected replacement of parts.
- Cleaner environment – Because a clean air filter causes your system to use less energy, your home leaves a smaller carbon footprint on the environment.
For more information about air filter replacement, contact your HVAC professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve proudly served the residents of greater Cincinnati since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com