Spring is a great time to think about A/C maintenance before the summer heat and humidity arrive.
Many homeowners are on strict budgets and try to complete as much of the household maintenance as possible. Although handy homeowners can perform simple A/C maintenance, there are areas of your air conditioning system best maintained by a certified professional.
Tasks most homeowners can perform
- Dirty air filters can create problems for air conditioners, but can be easily be cleaned or replaced. Inspect the filters monthly and clean or replace as needed, usually at least every three months.
- Clear the area around the outdoor condenser. Leaves, dirt and grass clippings collect on the condenser, and overgrown shrubs can block the airflow and hinder the efficiency of the unit. Gently spray the condenser with a hose to remove debris and remove any shrubs blocking the airflow.
- Rearrange furniture obstructing the supply registers and return grilles in your rooms. Unrestricted airflow circulating through your rooms will use less energy and be more efficient.
A/C maintenance best left for a professional
During a routine service call, a qualified HVAC technician will:
- Examine refrigerant levels and adjust according to the manufacturer’s recommendation, if necessary. Test for leaks in the line if levels are low.
- Remove dirt from evaporator coils and fins.
- Tighten electrical connections and belts.
- Check thermostat accuracy.
- Examine condensate pan for excess water, and check for blockage in the drain.
- Inspect ductwork for cracks, loose connections or gaps.
- Look for old and worn insulation or insulation damaged by moisture.
When a professional inspects your system, he or she has the experience and knowledge required to determine if the equipment needs cleaning, repair or replacement. Your HVAC equipment will be thoroughly cleaned with the proper tools and minor issues will be corrected before they become costly problems. After a comprehensive evaluation by a professional, you will have the satisfaction of knowing your system will be running at peak performance.
At Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, our exceptional team of technicians provides dependable and quality service. If you live in the greater Cincinnati area and are interested in A/C maintenance, call us to discuss a preventive maintenance plan that will suit your needs.
Image via Shutterstock.com