Water Heater Maintenance: Don’t Settle for Lukewarm Water | Blog
In most cases, water heater maintenance should be performed by an expert; however, there are a few simple tasks homeowners can do over the course of the year.
Combined, ensuring the appropriate maintenance for your water heater means you’ll benefit in terms of a more efficient system, energy savings, reliable access to hot water, fewer repairs and a longer service life for the unit. In short, investing in water heater maintenance every year translates to lower lifetime costs and a high return on investment.
During a typical service visit, your technician should include these water heater maintenance tasks as part of the service:
- Draining the water heater tank to flush sediment out of the unit.
- Inspecting the system and all of its components for the damaging effects of sediment buildup.
- Cleaning the entire unit, removing dirt and debris from the heating element, bottom of the tank and more.
- Inspecting the safety of the pressure relief valve.
- Checking the safety and reliability of the pilot light, if your system employs one.
- Checking the fuel connections, ensuring there’s a reliable supply and the safe delivery of natural gas, oil or propane into the system.
- Inspecting the water heater for evidence of rusting or corrosion.
- Replacing parts as needed. For instance, the anode rod acts as the “sacrificial lamb” for corrosion and generally needs to be replaced every few years.
As a homeowner, there are a number of tasks you can perform every so often to keep the system in good working condition. Here’s what you can do:
- Every six months, flush the system to remove harmful sediment. A sediment-free water heater will perform at peak efficiency.
- Every month, do a mini-flush of the water heater, removing only a small amount, up to 2 gallons, of water from the water heater.
- Be vigilant about keeping the area around the water heater clear of storage items and flammable substances.
If it’s time for you to schedule water heater maintenance, contact the area’s leading HVAC and plumbing experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve served homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area since 1910. Give us call today or visit our website for more information.
Image via Shutterstock.com