There are quite a few heating, cooling, air conditioning (HVAC) and plumbing service companies in the Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky market. So, how can you narrow the list when you need to call on one for your home repairs?
- A good reputation speaks for itself; start by asking your neighbors and friends who they have used to work on their systems and their experiences.
- Home improvement store employees, from Lowes or Home Depot, are also an excellent resource when searching for almost any kind of contractor.
- A contractor who is bonded, licensed and insured is a must. Checking with Angie’s List www.AngiesList.com and the Better Business Bureau https://www.bbb.org/ will provide great insight into what kind of experience you will have with a particular company.
- Ask about pricing and hours up front. Once required service is determined, make sure you approve of the cost before work is started. If technicians are available 24 hours-a-day, check to see if pricing is more expensive after normal working hours.
- Educated technicians, who have attended trade-specific vocational schools and training programs and keep up with the industry changes, are more likely to do a good job. Technicians who are affiliated with HVAC professional organizations like North American Technician Excellence (NATE), Inc., the leading non-profit certification program for tecnicians, is also a plus. https://www.natex.org/
- When scheduling the appointment, inquire about how much experience the technician(s) has on your specific HVAC system.
- Knowing if the company’s trucks are well-stocked with the necessary parts for a wide variety of repairs can save you a great deal of time. A service call of any kind can be a hassle; having to spend additional time waiting for a technician to locate the right part makes the situation inconvenient.
- And finally, most companies have web pages that provide a wealth of information to the consumer. Customer reviews, years in business, company history and other insightful information are often available to help you make a good choice.
If you have had an experience with a service repair company and have additional advice to share, please comment, so others can learn from you!