Carbon Monoxide: It’s Invisible, but You Can Spot the Red Flags | Blog
Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas that is odorless, tasteless and invisible. But it also happens to be extremely dangerous–claiming over 500 victims each year in the United States. It is produced anytime fuel is burned–whether you are preparing a meal on your gas stove or starting the car in your garage. Other sources include lawn mowers, fuel-burning space heaters and charcoal barbecue grills. It is important to inspect heating equipment and other appliances to ensure their safety especially with the coming winter months.
Carbon Monoxide Red Flags
- If you notice a formaldehyde smell around your furnace, it is possible that there is a malfunction in the way the fuel is being burned. This is often caused by appliances that have not been serviced or routinely maintained.
- If you hear a banging sound coming from your furnace, it means that their is a small explosion happening inside it each time it kicks on. This is often caused by parts that are worn out, dirty or need to be adjusted.
- If you smell gas, leave the premises immediately and contact your gas provider.
- Excessive condensation on windows is a sign that the fumes and exhaust from the furnace are entering the house, rather then exiting. This could mean that pipes are clogged, disconnected or have holes.
For more expert advice about spotting the red flags for carbon monoxide poisoning and other issues related to home comfort, please contact us at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We have been providing high quality specialized care for all your heating, cooling and plumbing needs since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com