Don’t put off your A/C spring maintenance. Maintaining the cooling equipment in your Cincinnati home will help you save energy, which translates directly into monetary savings from lowered utility bills. You will also benefit from improved whole-house comfort and healthier indoor air quality. Other benefits of routine A/C maintenance include:
- Extended lifetime of your cooling equipment
- Quieter operation
- Protection of your manufacturer’s warranty
If you wait until the warm weather hits before turning on your air conditioner or performing routine maintenance tasks, you can run into several complications such as a malfunctioning or poorly functioning A/C, unnecessary wear and tear from parts that need to be repaired or replaced, or needless energy waste due to A/C inefficiency.
Because HVAC contractors are inundated with service calls during the first heat wave, delaying your maintenance now can mean having to wait longer than usual before your equipment can be inspected.
Here are some of the A/C spring maintenance tasks you can do on your own:
- Replace the filters. This will ensure your system has adequate airflow. Filters should be changed as per manufacturer’s instructions. If your family is allergy-prone, changing the filters every month can help.
- Clean the grilles/vents. Clean vents or grilles in your home to mitigate the pollutants and debris circulating through your forced-air system. A vacuum with a soft-brush attachment works well for this.
- Clean outdoor unit. If you have an outdoor unit, make sure it is kept free of debris. Sweep away grass clippings, cobwebs, leaf debris etc. Unplug the unit and spray with a hose to remove more stubborn grime.
The rest of the A/C maintenance tasks are best left to a professional. This is especially true for modern, high-efficiency equipment, which requires routine maintenance to be performed by a licensed HVAC technician in order to protect the warranty. More technical tasks include:
- Checking thermostat settings
- Tightening electrical connections
- Lubricating moving parts
- Cleaning interior A/C components
- Detailed evaluation of entire system, repairing or replacing parts as necessary
- Running/testing the system
Ready to schedule spring A/C maintenance for your Cincinnati home? Contact Apollo Home Heating Cooling and Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com