Have you ever wondered how the thermostat located on the first floor can accurately read temperatures on your home’s second floor? You likely already know that it can’t, as people with multi-level homes commonly deal with varying temperatures. The zoning system offers a unique solution to the problems that single-thermostat, multi-level homes experience. Learn if your home is a good candidate for a zoning system.
Homes with more than one floor commonly experience two primary problems:
- A single thermostat reads the temperature in the area directly around it, and it’s most often placed on the first floor in a central location, often a hallway or living room. This thermostat can never accurately serve the temperature needs of the second floor.
- Because heat rises, two-story homes have inherent comfort problems. In winter, the second floor is often warmer because of the rising heat and requires less heating than the first floor. In summer, the opposite result occurs. Because heat rises, the second floor requires more cooling than the first floor to overcome thermal differences.
The zoning system resolves these problems by retrofitting a single furnace and air conditioner combination unit so that it can adjust output to various areas of the home. Here’s how it works:
- The home is grouped into zones with similar thermal needs.
- Dampers are installed in the ducts to adjust output to each corresponding zone.
- Each zone is wired to a thermostat.
- The thermostat sends a signal to the motorized damper when heating or cooling is needed.
- The damper opens to deliver conditioned air and closes when the zone reaches the temperature setting.
- Other zones can continue to receive as much conditioned air as necessary, and the corresponding dampers close only when the thermostat reading meets the temperature setting.
Zoning systems offer a low-cost, precise way to manage the differing thermal needs of multi-story homes. Homeowners who opt for this system also incur additional benefits like energy savings and a longer system life span.
Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing has served homeowners in greater Cincinnati since 1910. Contact us today for more information about installing a zoning system in your multi-level home.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.