How Weatherstripping and a Handyman Can Reduce Your Energy Bills
Do you think that weatherstripping is something you only need to worry about in the winter time? The same gaps that allow cold air in during the winters can allow hot air in during the summer. If you want to lower energy bills year round, you need to have it installed.
There are dozens of options when it comes to weatherstripping, and each one serves a distinct purpose for sealing air leaks. Which one should you use? Here are a few of the dozens of options available:
- A tension seal is possible with a v-channel vinyl strip or a folded metal strip. The strip opens up to bridge the gap you’re trying to fill. It works well around double hung windows and along the tops and sides of doors.
- Felt is another option for filling the gap. The felt strip is tacked or glued up around the opening. When the window or door closes, the felt fills in the area between it and the frame. It works best around a door frame or window.
- Vinyl foam tape is an inexpensive option that will last a season or two, but it can start to pull away and not offer the seal you want to have year round.
- A door sweep is a perfect choice for the bottom of an exterior door. It requires careful measuring and securing to provide the seal you want it to maintain.
- Tubular rubber or vinyl work well to seal around the door, but installation can be difficult for do it yourselfers.
- Interlocking metal channels offers the best seals possible but can be difficult to install unless you know what you’re doing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.