Sooner or later it’s going to happen. That old water heater is going to give out. When it does, you may not have time to shop around for a new unit. Water heater replacement is something that needs to be done quickly since water heaters are vital to the smooth operation of a home.
Here are a few telltale signs that can tip you off beforehand that your old unit needs replacing soon.
- Age – Gas models last about 8 to 10 years, while electric models will perform for an average of 10 to 15 years.
- Water color – Tinted water is a good indication that your water heater’s life is running out.
- Water temperature – If your water isn’t as hot as it should be or you run out of water under normal use, check the thermostat setting. Otherwise, you might be dealing with a declining heater.
- Moisture – Leaks may cause water to build up around the unit’s base.
- Standing water – Puddles around the heater can signal it’s time for a new one.
Shopping for a water heater replacement
If it’s determined that a new water heater is needed, take the following factors into consideration:
- Size – Figure out how much hot water your household needs before you make a big investment. A trusted professional can help you determine just the right size for your needs.
- Fuel type – Do you want to use gas, electric or solar?
- Unit type – You can choose a standard tank model or opt for the newer tankless systems.
- Efficiency – Keep an eye on the water heater’s efficiency, particularly since this system will be in your home for several years to come.
- Incentives – Tax credits and other incentives are worth looking into. Nothing makes committing to a significant home investment a little easier than getting some money back.
You’ve invested in a water heater replacement. Now what?
To keep your water heater in top shape, a few yearly maintenance tasks may prolong the life of your system.
For more information about water heater replacement, contact the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’re proud to serve homeowners throughout the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.