Water Heater Maintenance: Don’t Settle for Lukewarm Water
In most cases, water heater maintenance should be performed by an expert; however, there are a few simple tasks homeowners can do over the course of the year.
Combined, ensuring the appropriate maintenance for your water heater means you’ll benefit in terms of a more efficient system, energy savings, reliable access to hot water, fewer repairs and a longer service life for the unit. In short, investing in water heater maintenance every year translates to lower lifetime costs and a high return on investment.
During a typical service visit, your technician should include these water heater maintenance tasks as part of the service:
- Draining the water heater tank to flush sediment out of the unit.
- Inspecting the system and all of its components for the damaging effects of sediment buildup.
- Cleaning the entire unit, removing dirt and debris from the heating element, bottom of the tank and more.
- Inspecting the safety of the pressure relief valve.
- Checking the safety and reliability of the pilot light, if your system employs one.
- Checking the fuel connections, ensuring there’s a reliable supply and the safe delivery of natural gas, oil or propane into the system.
- Inspecting the water heater for evidence of rusting or corrosion.
- Replacing parts as needed. For instance, the anode rod acts as the “sacrificial lamb” for corrosion and generally needs to be replaced every few years.
As a homeowner, there are a number of tasks you can perform every so often to keep the system in good working condition. Here’s what you can do:
- Every six months, flush the system to remove harmful sediment. A sediment-free water heater will perform at peak efficiency.
- Every month, do a mini-flush of the water heater, removing only a small amount, up to 2 gallons, of water from the water heater.
- Be vigilant about keeping the area around the water heater clear of storage items and flammable substances.
If it’s time for you to schedule water heater maintenance, contact the area’s leading HVAC and plumbing experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve served homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area since 1910. Give us call today or visit our website for more information.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.