If you want your household to run smoothly, one of the most important tasks you can take on is finding the perfect handyman to tackle home improvement needs. But hiring a professional handyman can sometimes be tricky if you don’t know what to look for. We suggest that you follow these simple tips that will help you make the right choice:
- Don’t stop at the first one – Even if the first handyman you interview seems great, it’s always advisable to interview at least a couple more for a true comparison. There’s no reason to shortchange yourself.
- Know your project – It’s important to remember that a handyman isn’t the same as a contractor. A handyman is better suited to smaller projects that don’t require a permit, such as installing light fixtures, replacing a toilet, and painting interiors.
- Be cautious – Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous handymen out there who would rather take advantage of you than do a good job. First and foremost, question any handyman who comes to your door or calls you to solicit a job. Also be wary of anyone who wants payment before the job is completed.
- Ask for a guarantee – Any reputable handyman will have no problem with guaranteeing his or her work, usually for a period of one year.
- Get everything in writing – Before any job begins, you should have everything in writing, including the aforementioned guarantee. This will protect you in the event that something goes wrong or isn’t exactly how you expected it to be.
- Inspect the work – After a project is completed, don’t just pay the handyman and let him or her go on their merry way. Before any money has exchanged hands, take a look at the handyman’s work and make sure it meets your expectations. If not, have the work corrected, inspect it again, and then pay for the work.
For more expert advice on hiring a professional handyman or for any other home comfort concerns, please contact the friendly professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of the greater Cincinnati area since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.