Hiring an HVAC professional to do work in your greater Cincinnati area home is serious business.
Invest your time wisely, researching any potential hire based on a set of criteria designed to help you choose a winner the first time around. Here are nine great tips to help get you started.
- Use your contacts. Friends, family and neighbors can be a great source of information. Be sure to ask around to see if any of them can recommend a local contractor they’ve used in the past.
- Obtain references. It’s important to get at least three local references, but it’s even more important to call them. Have a prepared list of questions to ask each, including how satisfied they were with the work, the technician’s professionalism and cost of the job, and whether or not they would hire the same HVAC company again.
- Check credentials. Verify the HVAC pro’s license and insurance before hiring, ensuring that both are valid and up to date.
- Have a face-to-face. Insist on an in-home evaluation to obtain a more accurate estimate and properly assess your needs based on factors such as your insulation level, type of windows, ductwork and the size of your home.
- Get it in writing. Before hiring an HVAC professional, obtain a written estimate listing parts, labor and warranty information, as well as start and completion dates.
- Cover your bases. Make sure the contractor will be pulling all the necessary permits prior to beginning work on your project.
- Ask questions. Inquire about key factors such as emergency service, warranty information and whether or not the contractor offers a preventive maintenance program.
- Shoot for the stars. Opt for a NATE-certified contractor. Those technicians receiving certification have passed strict requirements and rigorous testing, showing superior knowledge within their field.
- Invest in your future. Choose an HVAC expert you’ll feel comfortable working with in the future for service, maintenance or replacement of your HVAC system.
Before hiring an HVAC professional, call the experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. Since 1910, we’ve been providing homeowners in the greater Cincinnati area with quality, reliable service at a great price and we’d like to earn your business.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.