The Difference Between Traditional and Tankless Water Heaters
Many water heater services in Cincinnati offer installation and maintenance of both tankless water heaters and conventional tank-based models. Both types have advantages and disadvantages, depending on your hot water requirements and your budget.
Storage Tank Water Heaters
Conventional water heaters use a large tank, ranging from 20 to 120 gallons, in which water is constantly heated and stored until it is used. Having a ready supply of hot water has several advantages, but tank-based heaters also have serious disadvantages, including higher energy usage.
- Lower Initial cost – Tank-based water heaters are relatively inexpensive.
- Easy installation – Most homes are already designed for tank-based models, making installing a new storage tank heater easier than retrofitting for a tankless model.
- Quick Delivery – Large tank ensures a good supply of hot water, delivered quickly.
- Efficiency – New models are up to 96% efficient.
- Shorter lifespan – They last about half as long as tankless models.
- Higher energy usage – Constantly heating water increases your energy costs.
- Finite supply – After the hot water runs out, it may take a while to replenish.
- Bulky – Storage tank heaters require plenty of space to install.
Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless water heaters tend to be more efficient than tank-based models, but they also have significant drawbacks.
- Energy efficient – Tankless heaters use up to 22% less energy than tank-based models.
- Small size – Allows for flexible installations, such as mounting the heater closer to fixtures for better hot water delivery.
- Extended lifespan – With minimal maintenance, tankless models can last over 20 years.
- Consistent Heated Water – Unlimited hot water if installed and sized correctly.
- Dual power sources – Available in both gas and electric versions.
- Higher upfront costs – The purchase price of tankless models is often at least double that of conventional models, and installation costs are often higher.
- Required Upgrades – Installation may require upgrades to your gas lines or electric service, and possibly a new vent system for gas models.
For more information about choosing a new water heater, or to schedule water heater services in Cincinnati or the surrounding areas, talk to our team at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We have been serving the Cincinnati area since 1910.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.