Tips for Ensuring Optimal Performance of Your Home’s Tankless Water Heater
As a Cincinnati homeowner looking to save on water heating costs, you might be eyeing those efficient tankless water heaters. You can save 12 to 34 percent on your water heating costs compared to a conventional tank, but only if you take these steps for ensuring the equipment’s optimal performance.
- Size the tank correctly – Sizing tankless water heaters requires knowing the maximum possible temperature rise at a given flow rate. A plumber can help you with the calculations, which involve adding up the flow rates of each faucet and fixture connected to the tankless water heater. Make sure the heater you choose delivers the most common temperature rise of 70 degrees at your required flow rate.
- Take minimum flow rate into account – Don’t forget the heater’s minimum flow rate, which ranges from 0.5 to 2 gallons per minute. Without a low enough minimum flow rate, the heater may shut off to prevent overheating when you lower the flow of water at the tap.
- Opt for professional installation – Proper sizing, configuration, venting and other requirements make tankless water heater installation a complex process. Count on an experienced, factory-trained plumbing contractor to perform the installation for you.
- Consider a point-of-use model – Whole-house tankless systems are certainly available, but point-of-use configurations are useful if you want a dedicated water heater for particular operations, such as the dishwasher and kitchen sink. With a heater located close to the water outlet, hot water is available almost immediately, preventing the waste that otherwise happens as you wait for the water to heat up.
- Combine tankless water heaters with other energy-saving methods – Solar water heaters and drain water heat recovery are two methods to preheat water entering the tankless water heater. This makes the delay between calling for hot water and it arriving at the tap less noticeable.
- Insist on correct ventilation – To prevent dangerous backdrafting, which is when combustion gases are brought into the living space, make sure your gas-fired tankless water heater has sealed combustion and direct ventilation.
Learn more about tankless water heaters by contacting Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing in greater Cincinnati today.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.