Take Charge of Preventing CO Poisoning in Your Bayshore Home
Every year, many unsuspecting homeowners are at risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. It’s important to understand how deadly CO poisoning can be and what you can do to protect you and your family.
The biggest problem with carbon monoxide in the air is that humans can’t detect it. It’s both odorless and colorless, and even in low concentrations, CO can quickly cause severe headaches, confusion and vomiting. When you start to ingest CO from the air, you’ll quickly experience CO poisoning, and if you don’t react properly, it could lead to death. While this may seem terrifying, homeowners can rely on CO detectors and common sense to eliminate any carbon monoxide danger.
CO detectors are affordable and run on batteries or can be hardwired into your home’s electrical circuit. They also usually have a backup source of power, so as long as you test them regularly, you can be confident that they’ll work when needed. The detectors monitor the chemicals in the air and sound a loud alarm when they detect a high amount of CO. If you hear the alarm, shut off any appliances and get out of the home immediately before calling the fire department.
Checking for CO Leaks
Carbon monoxide is produced from fuel-burning appliances or equipment due to incomplete combustion. A small amount is often expected in the case of a car, which is why you should never run a car in a closed garage. When you operate a car or appliance in an enclosed area, CO that’s produced will be trapped and can accumulate, creating a dangerous situation.
The most common appliances that create CO include chimneys, stoves, cars, water heaters, generators and lawn equipment.
For professional help preventing CO poisoning in your greater Cincinnati home, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
SCHEDULE SERVICE TODAY
“Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept...”
“We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make ...”
“The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment t...”
“I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie ...”
“Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s w...”
The information on this website is for informational purposes only; it is deemed accurate but not guaranteed. It does not constitute professional advice. All information is subject to change at any time without notice. Contact us for complete details.