Many homeowners who’ve experienced a wet basement know the value of a sump pump. Sure, a sump pump can get rid of standing water, but more important, it can help you avoid the problem altogether by keeping ground water flowing to the outside.
Combine a sump pump with basement waterproofing, and you may never have a water problem again. But eventually, even the best sump pump needs to be replaced. Use the following buyer’s guide to find a reliable unit.
- Sizing: Choose a sump pump that is the right size for your needs. An oversized pump will waste energy without significantly increasing performance. In most cases, a 1/3-horsepower pump is sufficient. To determine if you need a larger model, consider the total developed head, which indicates how far the water has to travel to flow outside your home. Water coming from a 3-foot pit, climbing a 10-foot wall and traveling another foot to the discharge area has 14 feet of total developed head. The pump must be able to move water that far.
- Battery: You’ll need a battery to serve as a backup power source. Choose a name-brand battery when possible. It should be able to provide at least six hours of continuous pumping after the main power goes out. A rechargeable battery or a sealed maintenance-free battery are both good choices. If you use a dry-cell marine battery, make sure you keep it filled.
- Material: Many sump pumps are made of plastic or stainless steel, but a cast-iron sump pump is preferred, because it is rugged, long-lasting and hard to damage.
- Alarm: Purchase a model with an emergency alarm that indicates conditions such as loss of power, a dead battery or a pump failure.
- Switch: Sump pumps are usually activated by float switches that rise with the water level. When the water reaches a particular height, the float switch starts the pump. Look for a model with dual float switches or electronic level control.
Since 1910, Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing has been a premier source of heating, cooling and plumbing services for residential and light commercial customers in the Cincinnati area. Contact us for more information on sump pump replacement. We’ll be happy to help you find the sump pump that will work best for your situation.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.