Maintaining proper attic ventilation is a year-round issue, but it’s particularly important during the summer months. Solar energy radiating through your roof accumulates inside an enclosed attic, causing temperatures to soar as high as 150 degrees on an Ohio summer day. The attic often remains excessively hot well into the night, even after the outside air has cooled. This continuous reservoir of broiling attic heat causes a number of issues:
- An overheated attic radiates heat energy through the ceiling and down into living spaces. This can raise the temperature in rooms below as much as 10 degrees, causing your air conditioner to run longer cycles to compensate. Cooling costs and wear and tear on your A/C increase while indoor comfort declines.
- Constant exposure to extreme heat deteriorates structural components located in the attic. Wooden framing and other structure dries out and splits. Roof sheathing warps and leaks may develop.
- Air conditioning ductwork is typically routed through the attic space. An overheated attic causes thermal heat gain, warming the cool, conditioned air as it passes through the ducts and decreasing the effectiveness of your A/C.
Attic ventilation and heat infiltration issues can be addressed in several ways:
- First, make sure passive ventilation is adequate. Verify that intake vents (typically located down at the soffits) aren’t obstructed by shifting insulation or another object. Also, determine that the roof vents are properly sized for the attic and are open.
- Consider installation of a powered attic ventilation fan to boost passive venting. Installed at the roof peak or the gables, a vent fan can operate on a thermostat that senses attic temperatures and activates only when heat becomes excessive. Solar vent fans use the free energy of the sun and run only during daylight hours when attic heat is most intense.
- To reduce the effect of attic heat infiltration into living spaces, make sure the depth and quality of attic insulation meets current standards and upgrade if necessary.
The cooling professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling, Electrical and Plumbing offer efficient, effective solutions to remedy insufficient attic ventilation.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.