Here are five plumbing problems that cannot be ignored and should trigger immediate response to prevent significant damage and potential harm. Some of these problems you can fix yourself — if you’re handy around the house. Others, however, require an immediate call to your plumber or your utility company.
- Odor of gas inside your home: Utility companies add substances to natural gas that give it a rotten-egg or sulfur odor. If you detect this odor, you may have a dangerous gas leak. Everyone in your home should leave immediately. Do not use the phone, electrical devices or items that could create a spark or a flame. Go to a safe location some distance away, and then call your gas company or fire department.
- Overflowing toilet: Watching your toilet about to overflow can give you a sick feeling. To stop the water flow, shut off the valve at the inlet to the toilet. Find the sewer clean-out plug in the outside drain line, and open it to clear water from the drain.
- Unseen leaks causing water to come up or pool in your yard: This usually means a leak or break in an underground water line. Find your water meter, usually at the side of your home or behind it, and shut off the main valve that controls water flow to your home.
- Indoor leak from an unknown source: A leak you can’t find must still be stopped as quickly as possible. Go to the water meter or main water valve, and shut off all water coming into your home.
- Bubbling or gurgling sounds from first-floor drains: This often indicates a sewer or drain clog that may soon cause a backup. Stop running water in your home, and open the sewer clean-out plug outside to drain water.
Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing was founded more than a century ago, making it one of Cincinnati’s oldest and most trusted providers of heating, cooling and plumbing services. Contact us for emergency plumbing services when you need them and for more information on fixing and preventing urgent plumbing problems.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.