We take plumbing for granted, but it’s one of the most important systems in the home. Pipes are more delicate than most people realize, meaning yearly TLC is a must.
Here are the most important plumbing preventive maintenance tasks you should take care of each year to make sure your home is protected from unnecessary breakdowns:
- Check for leaks: Look at all the visible pipes in your home and check for any leaking—a puddle will point you in the right direction. Also, look for leaks around your home’s foundation and in wall penetrations, and inspect your ceilings and walls for any watermarks. Keep your eyes peeled for any mildew, which is caused by stagnant water.
- Test the water pressure: Adequate water pressure can make or break your shower in the morning, and this can be easily checked. If your pressure has lessened over the year, it could be due to a buildup of sediment in your water lines.
- Check all plumbing fixtures: Another important plumbing preventive maintenance tip is to check for leaks around all of your plumbing fixtures, including faucets, showerheads, laundry lines and make sure they’re soundly attached. Also check the caulking around all of your fixtures and clean the showerhead to remove sediment buildup, which can diminish your water pressure.
- Inspect your drains: Check the drains in your sinks, showers and bathtubs. Observe the drainage speed and remember, bubbling is a bad sign. If drainage is slow, you likely have a clog. Also check how your toilet drains and inspect the flushing handle for rust or any damage.
- Drain water heater: Make sure you drain your water heater each year to remove sediment and look for rust or discoloration, which can point to aging of your heater.
For more about plumbing preventive maintenance or to schedule a professional evaluation, contact the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been serving the greater Cincinnati area since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.