Plumber’s Tip: Preparing your Plumbing for Super Bowl Visitors
Last year, more than 111 million people watched the Green Bay Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLV, making it the most watched show in the history of television. And this year promises to have just as many, if not more, viewers.
If you host a party for the Super Bowl, the number of guests watching the game at your home will certainly be far fewer. But even a small number of extra people using your “super bowl” and other household plumbing fixtures will likely have your plumbing working overtime. A few simple steps can go a long way (quite a few yards, even!) in preventing unexpected problems during the big game.
- First and foremost, always know where your main shut-off valve is located in case something does go wrong. If your home is on a city water supply line, the valve is usually located near the water meter or near an exterior access point of the home’s crawl space or basement. Homes using well water usually have the shut-off valve on or near the well pump.
- Check the drains in sinks, showers and tubs. Slow drainage can be a sign of a clog.
- Keep your dishwasher clean and drain lines clear by running it empty with a cup of vinegar in the bottom. Do this every few months.
- Check water lines and pipes for leaks. Also check for damp spots on walls that could indicate a leak.
- Avoid putting fibrous (stringy) or fatty foods and grease in kitchen garbage disposal.
- Place a garbage can in the bathroom to help prevent guests from flushing tissues, hand wipes and hygiene products down the toilet.
- Use high quality toilet paper which dissolves easily and is less likely to create clogs than cheap, coarse paper.
- Place filters in drains, particularly those in the bathroom to prevent clogs from the buildup of hair and other debris.
If you do these things a few days prior to the game, you will have plenty of time to have any concerns addressed by a plumber before you have a crowded home. And remember, regular maintenance on your plumbing system will go a long way in preventing problems – especially when you have a house full of guests.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.