Many Types of Insulation: Which Is Best for Your Cincinnati Home?
The right insulation in the right place can do a lot to raise your comfort level and lower your energy bills. Insulation benefits you year round, but it’s especially helpful against the greater Cincinnati area’s cold, snowy winters. Understanding the pros and cons of each type of insulating material will help you start your upgrade plans right.
- Fiberglass – This common material, usually found in pink or yellow, is made of fine glass filaments. At least 20 percent and up to 40 percent comes from recycled materials. Fiberglass insulation is available in batt form (long sheets) and loose-fill (small chunks). Because contact with the fibers can harm the airways and eyes, the material must be installed carefully.
- Cellulose – Cellulose offers the highest recycled content of all insulation types, with around 75 percent of its content coming from post-consumer paper. With higher R-values per inch than fiberglass, it’s also among the most efficient materials. Often available as loose-fill, it’s ideal for upgrading the attic, wall, and floor insulation. Its fibers are harmless, so it can be handled without special protective gear.
- Cotton – Much of this insulation comes from recycled blue jeans. Cotton production isn’t environmentally friendly, so look for cotton insulation with the highest amount of recycled material. While cotton is safe to handle, it’s not highly efficient.
- Mineral (rock) wool – Composted of strands of minerals, this insulation must contain at least 70 percent recycled material by law. Its greatest benefits are its superior flame retardant and soundproofing properties. You’ll find it in batt and loose-fill form, so it can be used anywhere.
- Foam insulation – Polyurethane, polyisocyanurate and other foams are the least environmentally friendly, but they can make up for it with their ability to improve home energy efficiency. Most are available in liquid spray form and rigid board form. In existing buildings, spray foam can be used to enclose walls while boards are useful for insulating basement rim joists.
For more pro tips on choosing insulation or for help with installation, contact us at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing in the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.