Low Water Pressure: Find the Source
Low water pressure in your home can be a problem that’s limited only to certain fixtures or it may affect the entire house. In most locales, home water pressure should range from 45 to 60 pounds per square inch. When it drops below that specification, you may not get enough water for proper bathing, you may experience acute drops in pressure when two people turn on different fixtures simultaneously and appliances like washing machines may take an extended time to fill. Here are some plumbing tips to isolate a low water pressure problem and in some cases resolve it yourself.
- If low pressure is limited to a specific fixture such as a faucet or shower head, clean out the aerator inside the fixture. The fine-mesh screen inside the aerator may have become clogged by mineral deposits. These can be dissolved by soaking the aerator screen in white vinegar.
- If the problem is limited to the shower and cleaning the aerator doesn’t help, evaluate your shower head. Older model low-flow shower heads were frequently ineffective at delivering proper pressure for showering. The design and technology of water conserving shower heads has greatly improved. Upgrading to a new low-flow shower head may provide better results.
- Systemic low pressure could be caused by the main water shutoff valve not being in the completely open position. If you know the location of the valve and how to rotate it, check to see if it can be opened further.
- A system-wide pressure decline may result from a hidden leak in a supply line. Turn off all valves and taps and observe the dials on the water meter. If any movement is noted, you have a leak somewhere. Call a plumbing professional.
- Many municipalities incorporate pressure regulators in residential water meters to keep water pressure at a specified level. If the pressure regulator is defective, however, it may reduce water pressure too much. A professional plumber can check the meter pressure and diagnose this problem.
For more on diagnosing and correcting low water pressure in your home, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.