Ensure the Proper Installation and Maintenance of Smoke Detectors for True Home Safety
A house fire is the last thing anyone wants to experience. To protect you and your family, be sure to perform proper smoke detector installation and maintenance.
Proper installation is the first step toward home fire safety. Remember these points when installing new smoke detectors:
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home. Make sure every sleeping area has one within range so it wakes sleepers if a fire occurs at night.
- Install smoke detectors on the ceiling. If your ceilings are vaulted or pitched, install the smoke detector near the highest point.
- Consider installing hardwired smoke alarms, which can be interconnected so every alarm goes off regardless of the fire’s location. Ensure these alarms have backup batteries for continued operation during power outages.
- Install a combination of ionization smoke detectors (most responsive to flaming fires) and photoelectric smoke detectors (most responsive to smoldering fires) for the best protection.
- Only install UL-listed smoke detectors.
- If someone in your home is deaf or hard of hearing, consider smoke detectors that use strobe lights or vibration along with the audible alarm.
- Avoid installing smoke alarms near windows, doors, supply registers or in bathrooms to avoid false alarms.
Smoke alarms are an important part of your family’s home fire escape plan. Make sure yours are working properly with these maintenance tips:
- Test the smoke detectors monthly by pressing the “test” button.
- Replace the batteries once a year. If the alarm chirps, the battery is running low. Replace it immediately.
- Never disable a smoke alarm or permanently remove the batteries.
- Never paint over smoke alarms or they could stop working.
- If you have problems with steam or cooking fumes setting off the smoke detector, choose one with a “hush” button. Press the button while cooking or showering to reduce the alarm’s sensitivity for a short time.
Hardwired smoke alarms must be installed by a qualified professional. If you’re in need of smoke detector installation and maintenance, please contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today. We have over 100 years experience serving greater Cincinnati.
Image via Shutterstock.com