A house fire is the last thing anyone wants to experience. To protect you and your family, be sure to perform proper smoke detector installation and maintenance.
Proper installation is the first step toward home fire safety. Remember these points when installing new smoke detectors:
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home. Make sure every sleeping area has one within range so it wakes sleepers if a fire occurs at night.
- Install smoke detectors on the ceiling. If your ceilings are vaulted or pitched, install the smoke detector near the highest point.
- Consider installing hardwired smoke alarms, which can be interconnected so every alarm goes off regardless of the fire’s location. Ensure these alarms have backup batteries for continued operation during power outages.
- Install a combination of ionization smoke detectors (most responsive to flaming fires) and photoelectric smoke detectors (most responsive to smoldering fires) for the best protection.
- Only install UL-listed smoke detectors.
- If someone in your home is deaf or hard of hearing, consider smoke detectors that use strobe lights or vibration along with the audible alarm.
- Avoid installing smoke alarms near windows, doors, supply registers or in bathrooms to avoid false alarms.
Smoke alarms are an important part of your family’s home fire escape plan. Make sure yours are working properly with these maintenance tips:
- Test the smoke detectors monthly by pressing the “test” button.
- Replace the batteries once a year. If the alarm chirps, the battery is running low. Replace it immediately.
- Never disable a smoke alarm or permanently remove the batteries.
- Never paint over smoke alarms or they could stop working.
- If you have problems with steam or cooking fumes setting off the smoke detector, choose one with a “hush” button. Press the button while cooking or showering to reduce the alarm’s sensitivity for a short time.
Hardwired smoke alarms must be installed by a qualified professional. If you’re in need of smoke detector installation and maintenance, please contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today. We have over 100 years experience serving greater Cincinnati.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.