It’s a combination you want to avoid: moisture and humidity. Together, they can breed mold growth that can trigger allergic reactions and also cause extensive damage to your home.
Some humidity is a good thing. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends that during the summer, the indoor relative humidity should be about 60 percent. During the fall and winter, this humidity level should register less than 40 percent to keep condensation problems at bay.
While there are many different types of mold spores, they all have one thing in common: they flock to moisture and then propagate quickly. The key, then, is to prevent mold growth in the first place. You can do this in myriad ways:
- Immediately repair water damage inside your home. Get expert help if you’re unsure whether water remains under floors or inside walls — two dark places where mold finds a safe haven to grow.
- Keep a dehumidifier in your basement to soak up condensation.
- Run a bathroom exhaust fan during baths and showers, and keep the fan running for a few minutes afterward until the humidity is gone.
- Clean your bathtubs and showers once a week with a 50-50 mix of white vinegar and water to ward off mold growth.
- Check the ventilation of all the exhaust fans in your home. The wiring should be sturdy and sound and the vents should lead outdoors.
- Check single-pane windows for signs of moisture. Blot it up immediately and seal these windows with weatherstripping. Windows that face north or south are particularly prone to condensation problems.
- Avoid leaving windows in your home open for long periods of time when it’s humid outside.
- Keep all the doors in your home cracked open slightly, especially those that lead to closets. Dark places are obvious breeding grounds for mold spores.
- Check your downspouts regularly and clear them of leaves, dirt and other debris.
For other ways to keep mold growth from taking place in your home, call Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. We’ve been keeping homes in the greater Cincinnati area dry since 1910, and we can do the same for yours, too.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.