Keeping rain gutters running free without a gutter guard installation usually involves one of two things: a dangerous DIY experience on a high ladder and a slick wet roof, or the considerable expense to pay somebody else to do it. Clogged rain gutters can be a year-round nuisance—from routine leaves and debris or nesting birds and rodents to frozen standing water in winter.
Gutter guards incorporate a mesh material that fits over the top of existing residential gutters, filtering the input. Instead of spilling over the rim of the clogged gutter, water or snowmelt from the roof passes freely into the gutters and drains through the downpipe, safely away from the foundation and basement.
Here are five additional benefits of a gutter guard installation:
- Fewer clogs – All the usual suspects in cases of clogged gutters are excluded by the straining action of the mesh design. This includes the larger debris, like leaves and sticks, as well as vermin that may inhabit gutters. Because the gutter system flows freely as designed, standing water is also minimized. This eliminates the breeding ground for mold and mildew, as well as mosquitoes that may be carriers of West Nile virus.
- Rust prevention – Chronic standing water and wet, sodden clogs of leaves and other material incite rust and corrosion of gutters. When gutters are protected by gutter guards, they drain freely and dry out between rains.
- Easier maintenance – Cleaning after every major rain or snow event is usually unnecessary. Semi-annual cleaning is usually sufficient.
- Fewer freeze-ups – When standing water in gutters freezes, it can expand and may damage the gutter. It also blocks the free flow of water as the ice melts, causing damaging gutter overflows. Clog-free gutters drain standing water and prevent freeze-ups.
- Fire prevention – When gutters fill with dried organic debris, they create a fire hazard in the event of windblown sparks or other source of ignition. Burning material in gutters rapidly spreads flames to the roof and walls of the home. Clean gutters are not flammable.
For more benefits of a gutter guard installation, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.