A 5-Step Process to Tackle Garage Organization Once and for All
While garages were originally designed to house vehicles, they’ve become an extension of many homes, doubling as a storage area. Whether you’re finding yourself with barely enough room to park or just wanting to make better use of this space, read on for some great garage organization tips to help reach your goal.
- Map it out. Start with a clear plan to help you visualize the end result, determine what type of supplies you’ll need, and assist in keeping your project on track. Measure the space and map it out to see where you have room for items such as shelving or wall racks to help keep things off the ground.
- Purge. Be ruthless and clear your garage of unwanted or unneeded items. Gather three boxes or containers, labeling one “keep,” another “donate” and the third “garbage/recycle.” Depending on the scope of the project, work in stages until you’ve weeded out the junk and are left with only the items that you need. Check for air leaks to keep your family safe from carbon monoxide (CO) from vehicle fumes or hazardous chemicals.
- Group like with like. Using your garage floor or driveway, group items together based on season, frequency of use or ease of access. Decide what will need to go in bins, hang on the wall or be suspended from the ceiling for the ultimate in garage organization, and install the necessary materials.
- Put it all away. Transparent bins with lids keep things neat and dry while allowing you to view the contents. If you opt for opaque containers, be sure to label them clearly. Items such as bicycles or snow tires can be hung on the wall or suspended from the ceiling using a pulley system to keep them out of the way.
- Safety first. Store hazardous materials such as fertilizer, paint or pesticide out of reach of children, and place dangerous items such as sharp tools up high or in a locked cabinet.
For help tackling garage organization in your home, contact the experts at Apollo Home Handyman Services. We’ve proudly served residents in the greater Cincinnati area since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.