As each season arrives, you need to buckle down and make some changes to your Cincinnati home in order to maintain its energy efficiency and basic cleanliness. The fall season is no different. In fact, we’ve compiled some of our favorite fall home maintenance tasks that will help you keep your home in order for the months to come:
- Keep air flowing – Dust will accumulate in many areas of your home, which can cause severe repercussions to the way air flows. These locations include the stove hood, dryer vent, baseboard heaters, cold air returns and ceiling fans. By cleaning these areas, you’ll keep dust from entering the air, which is especially harmful to those suffering from respiratory problems.
- Maintain below the home – Wildlife could have taken up residence in the crawl space under your home, so checking it during the fall is a good idea. You may also find standing water, which is a convenient area for mold and mildew to develop.
- Check on and around the roof – The roof of your home is another area that you must pay attention to. If you have a chimney, check for any damaged mortar and get it repaired. Also check for cracked or loose shingles. And while you’re up there, clear out the gutters and downspouts, which will likely be clogged if you’ve neglected them for a while.
- Schedule a tuneup – Since you’ll be using the furnace again soon, if you haven’t started already, now’s the time to hire a professional HVAC technician to give the system a tuneup. This will improve energy efficiency and keep it in operation longer.
- Check out the exterior – The outside of your home has a number of areas that you should check as part of fall home maintenance. For example, if the siding or trim isn’t looking good, you should either replace or repaint it. And if you have any damaged bricks or stucco, replace them, too.
For more expert advice on fall home maintenance, or if you have any other questions related to home comfort, please contact the professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’ve been serving the greater Cincinnati area since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.