Fall Maintenance Tasks to Complete Around Your Cincinnati Home
As each season arrives, you need to buckle down and make some changes to your Cincinnati home in order to maintain its energy efficiency and basic cleanliness. The fall season is no different. In fact, we’ve compiled some of our favorite fall home maintenance tasks that will help you keep your home in order for the months to come:
- Keep air flowing – Dust will accumulate in many areas of your home, which can cause severe repercussions to the way air flows. These locations include the stove hood, dryer vent, baseboard heaters, cold air returns and ceiling fans. By cleaning these areas, you’ll keep dust from entering the air, which is especially harmful to those suffering from respiratory problems.
- Maintain below the home – Wildlife could have taken up residence in the crawl space under your home, so checking it during the fall is a good idea. You may also find standing water, which is a convenient area for mold and mildew to develop.
- Check on and around the roof – The roof of your home is another area that you must pay attention to. If you have a chimney, check for any damaged mortar and get it repaired. Also check for cracked or loose shingles. And while you’re up there, clear out the gutters and downspouts, which will likely be clogged if you’ve neglected them for a while.
- Schedule a tuneup – Since you’ll be using the furnace again soon, if you haven’t started already, now’s the time to hire a professional HVAC technician to give the system a tuneup. This will improve energy efficiency and keep it in operation longer.
- Check out the exterior – The outside of your home has a number of areas that you should check as part of fall home maintenance. For example, if the siding or trim isn’t looking good, you should either replace or repaint it. And if you have any damaged bricks or stucco, replace them, too.